Sunday, April 22, 2012

Good and Bad (FYI: Real Talk Ahead...i.e. TMI)

Did you read the post heading? Consider yourself warned.

Do you want the good news first or the bad news first? If you are like me then you want to hear the good news first because usually the bad out weighs the good, so if i hear it first, then i can enjoy it for a minute. Well you don't get to choose. They are one in the same today.

I have been dealing with health issues lately. Lately, as in the last 2.5 months. I have not been feeling myself. I have been fatigued a lot. I have been bleeding, as in my cycle, said 2.5 months. (told you, TMI) I called my doctor after 3 weeks of dealing with this, and hoping it was just because of my irregularity issues, and was scheduled for an Ultrasound. I had really hoped my first ultrasound would have been due to a baby and not the opposite of a baby.

Finally after 6 weeks of dealing with this, I went for the ultrasound. I was so scared that I was going to be told that I was unable to have children for any one of numerous reasons they were going to find. My doctor saw that I had tons of follicles (little cysts) covering my ovaries. Then she told me I was diagnosed with PCOS: Poly-Cystic Ovary Syndrome.

"Polycystic ovary syndrome is a condition in which there is an imbalance of a woman's female sex hormones. This hormone imbalance may cause changes in the menstrual cycle, skin changes, small cysts in the ovaries, trouble getting pregnant, and other problems."


I have what?! It's a hormonal problem? I have been dealing with this my whole life and that won't change? This is part of the reason for my weight issues and the reason for my infertility?!? I can manage it with meds and healthy living? I can still have children (once everything has been controlled)??!! ....

...sorry, just letting you in on my brain rant.

So, bad...and good. 

So I have been put on Metformin, and birth control (for a short period of time) to "calm the ovaries down" as my doc said. But here is the sitch: the medication can make your digestive tract feel bad (and it has) and I have dealt with some serious pain from "passing the cysts". And the bleeding hasn't completely stopped. 
I have more doc visits in the near future and I don't like having to pop pills everyday.

But... 

God knows what He's doing with me. I have hope of my system getting regulated and being able to bear children. And honestly...that's REALLY GOOD news.

I ask that you pray for me through all of this. Let me know if you or someone you know deals with this same thing. I would love to talk more about what to expect in the future.

Ta Ta For Now~ Kim

No comments:

Post a Comment